↑ Return to Events 2005

2005 Ottawa Central Railway Open House

On Saturday, the 30th of April 2005, the Ottawa Central Railway (OCR) had an open house at the Walkley Yard in Ottawa. Although the weather was wet, many railway enthusiasts were on hand to enjoy the day.

The OCR started operation on December 13th 1998. It runs between Pembroke, Ontario and Coteau, Quebec. It interchanges with CN at Coteau, and CP at Pembroke and Ottawa. Major commodities carried include gas, salt, wire, rod, billets, scrap, pulp, newsprint, lumber and other forest products.

Cab rides in The Ottawa Central, Alco RS-18 were a popular event.


The Bytown Railway Society (BRS) had a number of pieces of their restored equipment on hand for viewing. BRS is a non-profit organization to promote an interest in railways and railway history. It was founded in 1969, and now has a membership of approximately 1400 people.

To find out more about the Bytown Railway Society, click on the following link.
Bytown Railway Society

NewHandcar

Below are pictures of BRS members operating steam crane number 4251. Built by Industrial Brownhoist in 1919, this 50-ton crane was acquired from the Central Vermont Railway in 1967 along with the locomotive tender 4264 and a boom car 4313.

NewCrane1

NewCrane3

NewCrane5

To find out more about this steam crane, click on the following link.
Steam Crane

The Bytown Railway Society also had Thurso & Nation Valley Railway, locomotive number 10 available for viewing. This 50 ton, diesel-electric locomotive was built in 1946 by General Electric for Singer Manufacturing in Elizabethport, New Jersey. In 1960, Singer moved it to their plant at Thurso, Quebec where it was used for switching the yard. The locomotive was sold in 1988 and stored for twelve years until BCR purchased it for restoration.

NewSwitcher

To read more about locomotive number 10, click on the following link.
50 Ton Locomotive

Thurso & Nation Valley, car number 27 and former CPR caboose number 436436 were also open for inspection.

NewBusinessCar

In 1907, the Canadian Pacific Railway built 22 cars like this for their divisional superintendents. In 1929 the Thurso & Nation Valley Railway purchased the car for its officials. By 1979 the car was in poor shape and the railway was seriously considering burning it, but instead donated it to the Bytown Railway Society for restoration.

To read more about this car, click on the following link.
Business Car 27

Canadian Pacific Railway caboose number 436436 was built 1913. The Society acquired the car in 1983, and some restoration work was done at that time so it could be used on the Thurso & National Valley Railway. When the railway was closed in 1986, the van was moved to the Canada Science and Technology Museum in Ottawa where members completed a full restoration.

To read more about this van, click on the following link.
Caboose 436436


The development of our Nation’s Capital is closely linked to the history of streetcars in Ottawa. Streetcar 696, represented here by a custom painted LGB model, was a witness to many changes in our beautiful city.

NewStreetCar

Built in 1917 by the Ottawa Car Company, it ran on the Britannia line until it was retired in 1957, two years before the streetcar network in Ottawa was dismantled.

Only a few of the Ottawa Car Company streetcars still exist. Streetcar 696 was recently brought back to Ottawa by a group of volunteers determined to restore it to its former glory. The group includes OC Transpo active and retired employees and rail enthusiasts, who are all eager to see it back on track.


We wish to extend a thank you to Ottawa Central Railway, General Manager, James Allen for his hospitality. We look forward to future days like this.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *